Thursday, July 3, 2008


The vineyard has been planted. Vines went in a few weeks ago now, just haven't had a chance to take and upload photos. As I mentioned before, it is ridiculously small -- the entire vineyard consists of 5 vines. At maximum production in a good year, I hope to max out production at 5 gallons of wine, about 2 cases (24 - 750 mL bottles). Certainly not a huge amount, but not bad for someone who someone who lives on a tenth of an acre in a city.

First up is the east vineyard, our showpiece:
Happy vine:

One of the nice features of the "urban vineyard" is that you can make the vineyard a landscaping element. Below, there are two mock-ups for potential ground cover -- smooth river stones to the left, and angular slate to the right. I think the river stone is the prefered look, so placing that throughout the vineyard will be the next step.

On the rugged west side of our estate, we find the lone remaining vine. Basically, I ordered 5 vines and only had room for 4, so I stuck this guy here. It's not as sunny and right next to the garage. Also note the classy chain-link fence nearby. If it ever produces viable wine grapes, I'll be shocked. I may get inspired some day and stick some more vines over here if this guy does reasonably well.

That's all for now -- next steps are ground cover and then trellis construction. I'll also keep you posted on the vine's growth progress. Stay tuned!